Since 2010, the Smoke Detector Check Program has been a community service that assures there is a working smoke detector in each home in Crowley. Crowley Firefighters, when requested by the homeowner, go into the home, at no charge, to:
• Check smoke detectors for proper location and application
• Provide maintenance and test the operation of each smoke detector and change batteries as required
• Replace out-of-date and non-working smoke detectors or add new smoke detectors (1 per household, while supplies last)
• Educate the home’s occupants by providing information concerning the importance of a working smoke detector.
Firefighters offer to check smoke detectors each time they go into a home for any reason and at appropriate times after Emergency Medical Service and fire incidents. In addition, Crowley residents may contact the Crowley Fire Department at 817-297-1638 and request that firefighters come out and check their detectors.
This is a free service to Crowley residents.
Crowley residents who allow the firefighters to enter their homes and check their smoke detectors realize the following outcomes:
• Crowley residents meet face-to-face, maybe for the first time during a non-emergency event, with Crowley firefighters and became partners in fire prevention and life safety
• Many Crowley homes now have working smoke detectors, some for the very first time
• Crowley residents know their firefighters care and stand ready to help their family